4.01.2008

Lark News

What better way to observe April 1st than to share from this months Lark News.
CHESTERFIELD — A youth group from a suburban mega-church traveled to inner-city St. Louis for a ministry trip which confirmed their preconceptions about urban poverty. "It’s even grosser than I thought down here," said Emma Fahe, 15, after performing in a human video. "I better not get a disease. I never want to come back, even for ministry." "Why don’t people move out?" one boy wondered aloud as he picked up trash around the neighborhood. He was wearing arm-length rubber gloves, a clear visor and mask and using tongs. "I’m sorry I even know this place exists." "Ick," said another girl as she handed out brown-bag lunches to homeless people. "What’s wrong with you? Don’t you ever shower?" "Only when I can find a hose," said a man who gave his name as "Bart." As the kids passed around bottles of Purell later, their youth pastor asked about the compassion they were feeling. One girl responded, "I feel compassion for myself for having to be here right now." Others murmured in agreement. The youths said the trip gave them healthy appreciation for their "vastly nicer" lifestyles, and most vowed never to return, except to show their own children how bad life could get if they make poor choices. "Our youth pastor was right," said one youth. "This trip really opened our eyes."

No comments: