Most influential albums

Posted by david | 8:37 AM | 7 comments »

I protest that I never know what to blog. Truth is I'm too lazy/busy to give you the good stuff routinely. The following has been rolling around in my rock-tumbler-brian and is now polished for you:

The 10 most influential albums of my life. They may have changed the way I hear music, helped through a difficult time, instantly connected, been formational or foundational. No explanation or justification. They are. I hope you'll pick up and post your's as well.

Nanci Griffith - Flyer
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Mark Heard - Satellite Sky
Geoff Moore and the Distance - Home Run!
Pixies- Surfer Rosa
The Police - Outlandos d'Amour
Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne
Various Artists/Marlo Thomas - Free to Be You and Me
Viglanties of Love - Killing Floor
Neil Young - Freedom

What's on your list?

7 comments

  1. Todd Wright // 2/18/08, 10:31 AM  

    I'm sorry...did you say "Marlo Thomas?"

  2. david runnels // 2/18/08, 12:13 PM  

    Free to Be You and Me was an album I istened to as a child. There are many lessons and beliefs that still serve me well from that album. It belongs in the top ten.

  3. adrienne // 2/18/08, 8:41 PM  

    An album that honestly changed my life and how I view it was David Crowder's Illuminate.

    Are individual songs okay too?

    Cause if so...

    Praise Chorus: Jimmy Eat World
    Closing Time: Semisonic
    More Than a Feeling: Boston
    Glorious: Everclear
    At Last: Etta James
    Lemon Tree: Peter, Paul, and Mary
    When the Fool Becomes a King: The Polyphonic Spree
    Life is a Highway: Tom Cochrane

    these songs all remind me that at the end of the day, life is beautiful.

  4. Anonymous // 2/19/08, 10:38 PM  

    Free to be... that will live on as a reminder of our childhood, and I totally remember looking at your George Harrison album and thinking, "my brother is cool."

    Anonymous--you know my name

  5. david runnels // 2/20/08, 9:16 AM  

    that's the best comment i've ever received! I so would have let you listen to it...still would.

  6. Todd Wright // 2/20/08, 4:44 PM  

    I came up with 7 records. Here they are in no particular order.

    1. Vigilantes of Love - Audible Sigh
    2. Paul Baloche - First Love
    3. Steven Curtis Chapman - More To This Life
    4. U2 - Rattle and Hum
    5. Lemonheads - It's A Shame About Ray
    6. The Prayer Chain - Shawl
    7. Paul Baloche - God Of Wonders

  7. david runnels // 2/21/08, 9:24 AM  

    thanks todd...an interesting exercise huh?