11.05.2007

End of the pumpkin patch

The pumpkins are gone. The check for Pumpkins USA is being cut. There is a general sense of relief that we made it through "pumpkin time". Thought I'd share with you an advertising campaign that we choose not to use.
I'm all for handling blades while drinking. Who doesn't love a woman that drinks beer? I'm a big fan of mother of pearl snaps on shirts. I personally don't carve a pumpkin using the "one hand balanced on my abdomen" method, but the chick seems to dig it (she has been drinking).
But note the glasses. They are drinking Schlitz beer out of pilsner glasses.
Wikipedia has this to say about the pilsner glass:
"A pilsner glass is a glass used to serve many types of light beers, but is intended for its namesake, the pilsner. Pilsner glasses are generally smaller than a pint glass, usually in 250 ml or 330 ml sizes. They are tall, slender and tapered. Wheat beer glasses are often mistakenly referred to as pilsner glasses, but a true pilsner glass has an even taper without curvature. Pilsner glasses are made to showcase the color, effervescence, and clarity of the pilsner, as well as to maintain a nice head."
But they are drinking Schlitz! My memory from childhood in the 70's is that people bought Schlitz because it was cheap not color, clarity or effervescence. Mind you, the 70's were the heyday of Schlitz.
I guess I'm lucky to live in Texas where one can still find Schlitz. I don't know that the same can be said for a pilsner glass.

4 comments:

Todd Wright said...

I love this post for so many reasons...the campy ad, overall nerd factor of wikipedia's take on pilsner glasses, and a seemingly very accurate peek inside your head.

david said...

it's rare that i'm sitting at my computer and have a thought that screams, "blog me!" i knew i wanted to blog on the end of the pumpkin patch and had used google images to look for a graphic when the ad appeared. if only all my moments were as inspired.

Todd Wright said...

I believe you've found your niche. (Please read the last word as "neesh" in your head. It's so much more refined.)

Anonymous said...

I always loved it when you had a "blog me!" moment... but we always forgot what they were.

I'm glad this one made it to print.

drunken pumpkin parties are inspiring.